Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Booya League Event #5


I had my very first online tournament win tonight when I placed 1st out of 16 in event #5 of the Booya League. My only other win in any STT or MTT prior to this was a live, two-table tourney in my friend's home poker league. It's kinda lame it took me this long to book a first place finish online, but the truth is I hardly ever play any SNG's (played maybe 5-10 in all), and only recently have I started playing MTT's (besides freerolls, I've only been playing in the last PSO league, and now this league). So I'm pretty happy with this milestone, even though I'm kinda late to the party.

I didn't get very many good hands in this tournament, but what I did get held up really well. My best hands were JJ, which won a medium-sized pot; TT, which won a big pot vs. a guy chasing a flush; AJo, which also won a big pot vs. a flush-chaser; and AKs, my final hand, which knocked out second and third place at once, when they pushed with KQo and A6o. I only got sucked out on once when I called a short-stack's ATo with K9s, and I flopped two-pair, but my opponent caught runner-runner straight. I sucked out on someone once when I pushed with ATs, got called by AKo, and managed to river a flush. It was a bit disappointing when second and third place got knocked out at once, since I really wanted to get some heads-up experience, but that feeling didn't last too long :)

Anyway, with this win I'll move up to 7th overall in the league with 191.2 points, but will still need to make up about 34 points to catch up to 5th place, where the league money starts. With only 3 more events to go, this is starting to look pretty bleak. With Booya's linear points formula, in each game the points difference between consecutive finish positions is only about 3 points, so unless someone in the six spots ahead of me either fails to play or gets knocked out very early in an event, it'll be practically impossible for me to catch up, especially if the top six continue to play as well as they have been. And with others below me also realizing their slim chances, the number of players in the remaining events will likely decline, meaning even fewer points will be given out. Man, I really hope Booya changes the formula for the next league, or at the very least make it something like your best 6 out of 8 finishes count towards your total points. That way no one is handicapped for having missed a couple events.

3 Comments:

At 6:13 AM, Blogger actyper said...

Nice job, cheers to getting past your first hurdle!

Go ahead and suggest improvements for the league to manager@booyapoker.com He's a cool guy and willing to make improvements for next season.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Riverrun said...

I hope no one shows up for the next 3!!!

Great work last night and congrats on popping your cherry.

 
At 3:10 AM, Blogger murf72 said...

Nice job on the first tourney win!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home