Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Booya League Event #6 & 7

I placed a lousy 9th out of 15 in the Booya League Event #6 two weeks ago, but last week in Event #7 I managed to place 2nd again, out of 12. It was a crazy tournament, with a lot of people hitting their draws or sucking out. I myself played three flush draws, all of which completed to take down some huge pots. It was fitting, then, that my last hand lost out to a runner-runner flush draw. It was the very first hand heads-up, and we were about even in chips. My opponent limped in, I checked. Flop gave me bottom pair, and we both checked to the river, which paired my other hole card to give me two-pair. However, it came runner-runner hearts to put three hearts on the board. I bet out, he pushed, I called without thinking too much. I played it very poorly, and I think if I had really taken the time to think it over, I would have folded. But my opponent, who was the big stack for most of the final table, had been bullying and throwing his chips around, and I felt he was doing the same again with just top pair, so that led me to make the bad call.

Anyway, even with that finish, I'm still stuck in 7th place, two places shy of the league prizes. With one more event to go, even if I place 1st, I won't be able to move up unless the two players in 6th and 5th don't show up to play. The top five players are pretty much set, with fellow bloggers and PSO regulars MathP having a lock on first place, and Actyper and Riverrun jostling with two others for second to fifth place. Congratulations, guys!

2 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure how the scoring works, but you still can't move up with a win?

Should we be suggesting a different scoring system for League #2?

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Curatio said...

First off, I know I gripe a lot in my posts about the Booya League scoring system, but I don't want to give the impression that I'm unhappy. I know BooyaMan (the manager at Booya Poker) reads this blog, so I just wanted to say that the league has been a lot of fun and a great learning experience, that the support at Booya has been fantastic, and that props should be given to Booya for their generosity regarding league prizes.

But the current scoring system is definately flawed, if someone with the best or second-best ROI cannot even finish in the top 5. The good news, though, is that Booya is well aware of the problem, and they have plans to improve the scoring system for the next league. They also plan to obtain feedback from players in the current league, and will be making other improvements such as added prizes/bounties for individual events, which should help to improve participation in the league, especially in the later events.

Regarding the current scoring system, I think it's flawed in three ways:

1. All eight events count towards your score. For some people, it can difficult to commit to all eight events, so I don't think people should be penalized for missing one or two tourneys. For example, one event in the current league fell on Halloween, and I couldn't play due to family commitments.

2. The formula used is linear. This means you gain the same amount of points moving up from 20th to 19th place, as you would moving up from 2nd to 1st place, which is a considerably tougher task.

3. The formula is set to the top 20 people getting points. This problem was particularly noticeable in the current league because each event averaged maybe 14-15 players. Thus, anyone who just showed up and played average would get a decent number of points.

The next league will fix most if not all the problems. I'll be trying to recruit more players from the home league I'm in, so hopefully the turnout will be much better, and with all the improvements Booya has planned, it should be lots of fun and a great opportunity to win some prizes. Hope to see you there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home