Monday, July 24, 2006

Challenge Update: Bankroll At $1034

Well, my winning streak at Paradise continues. I finally got a chance to play again tonight, and managed to more than double up, allowing me to move up to my final level of $500 NL. This is getting a bit nerve-racking. I just hope all this good fortune so far isn't setting me up to fail on my final level :(

I'll just summarize the key hands:

TT vs AA - I flop a set, and net $253
KQo vs QJs - we both flop trip queens, but I have the better kicker, and I net $125
AKs vs K9s - 2K9 flop, but runner-runner J's gives me the better 2-pair, and I net $94
QQ vs Q5o - board is 534A7, no idea why he calls me to the end, and I net $59

Overall, I didn't find the play at $200 NL to be very much different. It's a bit slower-paced, with people thinking about their hands more, before deciding their action. It's also a little bit tighter, although I did manage to find some loose tables to play at. I always try to find tables with players-per-flop% in the 30's. Anything less than 30%, I find the play is too tight and I don't get enough action when I get a good hand. Also, too low a percentage will generally indicate a table full of better players. Anything higher than 40%, I find the play to be too loose, and thus the variance (swings in my bankroll) becomes too high. With too many players seeing the flop, my strong starting hands are less likely to win, although when they do win they will win a bigger pot to more than compensate, on average. At $200 NL, there are still some obviously bad players, as the last hand above clearly shows.

Anyway, I'm a bit nervous about playing at $500 NL, but I'm not about to quit now. There doesn't seem to be much traffic at this level either, at least on Paradise. I've checked a few times, and there is usually only one full table and one or two short-handed tables playing during peak hours. The play at the full tables seems quite tight, too, with the players-per-flop% usually at 30% or less. I'm only going to play at a full table, so it looks like I'll have to play one table at a time, instead of two like I have been doing at the previous limits. I guess that's better anyway, as I can devote my full attention to trying to finish my challenge successfully. Wish me luck!

Earnings-to-date: $4197
Challenge bankroll: $1034

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home